Thinking of Trying Speed Skating?
Speed skating is unique in that people of all ages can join and become successful. Here's why:
Hockey and Figure Skating
If you have experience in hockey or figure skating, you already have a lot of the skills required to be a speed skater. Many of the fundamental skills, such as agility, balance and coordination are the same as hockey and figure skating.
Individual Sport, Individual Goals
Speed skating allows parents and skaters to select how much time and dedication they put into the sport. Skaters can enter as few or as many meets as they wish.
Competition Based on Ability
Instead of being segregated by age and gender, speed skaters compete based on ability, as measured by fastest time. This means that competitors are guaranteed to be matched with skaters of similar ability. This provides a great atmosphere for competition for all skaters.
No Cuts, No Bench Sitting
The beauty of speed skating is everybody competes at every meet. There are no worries of ice time or preferential judging.
Still not convinced? Contact us to give it a try.
Safety equipment required at EVERY practice includes:
- helmet (hockey, skateboarding, bicycle or speed skating - as long as skate blade can't find through the air vents)
- knee pads/shin pads (hockey shin pads or skin suits have them built in)
- leather gloves or mitts for younger skates; cutproof gloves for older skaters
- cut proof neck guard
- protective eyewear (with a strap for competitions) - hockey helmets with cages don't need protective eyewear
- Kevlar cut proof socks (available at most sports stores or Costco)
- skates (hockey, figure skates or can rent speed skates)
Equipment rentals offered by the Prince Albert Speed Skating Club:
- Boots $30 per pair
- Short Track Blades $30 per pair
- Long Track Blades $30 per pair
- Short Track Skin Suit $40
- Cut proof under layer $40 **Train to Train level and above
Some of the equipment may be purchased at local sports stores. Special speed skating equipment can also be found using the following link. http://www.redriverspeed.com